I've been Smitten


Monday, June 21, 2010

Go Bananas...

So if you read my earlier post you'll know that I learned, "Bananas are bad luck for fishermen".  Hub never asked me if I had one. Maybe he assumed I knew about the wacky superstition.  I just figured maybe we would like to share one of nature's sweetest treats while fishing.  Well, Hub was talking to a friend when he found out I had the horrid thing on the boat.  His friend actually asked for Hub to give him a courtesy call when we arrived safely at dock he was so sure we would not make it back without being towed.  So here it is...the story behind the legend...it's rather boring so don't blame me...

One superstition is that boats carrying bananas don't catch fish. The origin of this belief dates back to the Caribbean trade of the 1700s. The wooden sailing boats of that time had to move quickly to deliver bananas before they spoiled, and fishermen had a hard time trolling for fish on such fast-moving boats Another superstition that originated during that time is that bananas will cause a boat to sink. This belief developed after many boats never made it to their destinations, and all of the doomed boats were carrying bananas.
One of the creepier superstitions is that banana cargo could actually kill a man. In actuality, fermenting bananas do give off methane gas, which could conceivably get trapped below deck and kill any crew members unlucky enough to be working in the hold. Another popular theory was that venomous spiders hitched rides in bananas, and once those bananas were on board, the boat would be host to any number of lethal critters.
And then, of course, last but certainly not least...that banana peels cause crew members to slip and fall on deck

So there you have it and I think we proved all the theories wrong.

No comments: