I've been Smitten


Monday, January 25, 2010

A Preview...

Last week I was awarded a small glimpse into a lasting 45 year marriage. The following is a snippet of a conversation between me and one of my male patients.

Me: What brought you in today?
Him: My wife thinks I'm losing my hearing and I'm confused.
Me: What do you think?
Him: I'm going to let you in on a little secret amongst us guys. We have a little thing called the self preservation gene. I choose not to hear her. I used to answer her and be at her beckoning call when we were raising kids. Now I selectively turn off my hearing and choose to what and when I want to listen. It keeps me from wanting to jump out the second story window every time she says my name.
Me: Noted.

This is why often I fantasize of working with more geriatiatric patients. Very candid.

No comments: